Forward Booking Coffee with Red Fox
Red Fox is growing and we want to help our roaster clients grow with us. We’d like to offer you the opportunity to secure the best possible coffees by booking forward. So let’s find some time to connect. We are available to meet via phone or skype to review the annual harvest cycle and help you get a clear picture of what to expect. Planning ahead like this will ensure access to top-tier quality, and will leverage your relationship with Red Fox to streamline your buying and planning. We’ll call the program Secure Source.
Why do this?
Here at Red Fox, we have been sourcing top quality green coffee for a long time. Our investment and experience at origin is bar none, and our quality control standards are as strict as you’ll find.
Here are a few of the benefits to booking forward with Red Fox:
- More security in accessing the freshest, best quality coffees
- Access to better pricing based on an estimated annual volume
- Advanced single origin menu and blend component planning
- More exclusivity in your market
- Potential travel to origin to meet producers in the Red Fox supply chain
- A clear perspective on harvest and shipment timing throughout the year
We believe Red Fox can be a strong partner to your roasting business, and we want to get to know you better. Working together, we hope to support and grow the strength and capacity of your business, as well as the quality of the coffees you buy. It’s unlikely we’ll ever be a one-stop shop for all your green coffee needs. We don’t work in every origin or region, but we are committed to finding the best coffees in the handful of origins where we do work. We remain focused on specific regions and communities that are underrepresented in the marketplace. And we seek to work in places that have the highest potential to produce extraordinary quality. We use our collective years of experience and our relationships at origin to get lots separated, milled, and shipped quickly and in optimal condition. Delivering these coffees from origin to our customers takes the majority of our time, investment, and planning. This is Red Fox’s role and where we feel we add the most value — we deliver some of the world’s finest coffees to you, in top condition, so you don’t have to worry about it.
Our spot offerings will continue to be top-shelf, showcasing single-producer coffees, separated washing station outturns, and bulk lots in their peak quality from our best regions. Those coffees will be there for you when you need them. But going deeper and planning together has many advantages. Knowing three, six, nine, or even twelve months in advance about what you’ll be buying helps us to dial in quality and pricing to customize our sourcing efforts to meet your roasting needs. The Red Fox trading team has decades of collective experience planning and forecasting green coffee needs and setting menus for roasting operations, so we are well equipped to bring ideas to the table.
How does it work?
- First, we will schedule time to meet with you, either in person or over the phone, to go over your usage and needs, so that we can create an initial plan of action and framework for contracts. Ideally, we cup coffees together to calibrate our quality expectations. We can do this at our Berkeley lab, or Red Fox can come to you.
- Using Red Fox’s harvest calendar for specific harvest/shipment/delivery timelines, we set a target plan for one or multiple origins. Forward booking with Red Fox will give you better pricing and access to coffees before they become available as spot offerings.
- Together we come up with an agreed upon “spread,” or drawdown of coffee, over a specific period of time. This initial agreement or “target source plan” is non-binding and will set only price parameters.
- A second conversation will be scheduled in which we will draft up forward contracts. Lot specifics and pricing will be finalized at the time of booking, usually 2 to 4 months ahead of coffee delivery.
- Pre-ship samples are then forwarded directly to you for your approval. We can also send arrival samples upon request, although contracts will be subject to pre-shipment approval in most cases.